I just found this great recipe for bread via Yardsnacker’s 8 months’ appreciation of raw food. It looks so good I’m going out to buy the ingredients to make it right now! Check out Yardsnacker’s You Tube channel. Also, of course, Russell James’s old site with this recipe and Russell James’ new site
Russell James’s Recipe . . . Makes 18 ‘slices’
1/2c olive oil
1c sun dried tomatoes, loosely packed
3c almond flour*
1c flax meal
3 medium courgettes (zucchini), peeled & roughly chopped
2 apples, cored and roughly chopped
3T lemon juice
3T Herbs De Provence or herbs of your choice
2T marjoram or herbs of your choice
*You can make almond flour a number of ways. Russell James suggests saving the pulp from almond milk (either dehydrated or wet). Another way is to grind some almonds into flour in a high powered blender or coffee mill. This last is my usual method.
– Process the olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, courgettes, apples, lemon juice, salt and dried herbs until thoroughly mixed.
– Add the almond flour and process again until a batter is formed.
– Last add the flax meal (if your food processor bowl is too small you may need to do this by hand – if you do this you’ll need to process the whole batter in the machine again in small batches to achieve a light fluffy texture.
– Divide the mixture in 2 and place on Paraflexx sheets, on dehydrator trays.
– Use an offset spatula (aka offset palette knife or cranked palette knife) to spread the mixture evenly to all 4 sides and corners of the Paraflexx sheet. If mixture is too sticky you can wet the spatula to make things easier. With a knife score the whole thing into 9 squares.
– Dehydrate for 2 hours and then remove the Paraflexx sheets by placing another dehydrator tray and mesh on top and invert so that your original sheet of bread is upside down. That will allow you to peel the Paralexx sheet off and continue to dehydrate the underside of the bread.
– Dehydrate for approx 8 hours more (overnight) or until bread feels light in your hand. If the pieces don’t fully come apart where you scored, use a knife to cut them.