I’ve been eager to try making some raw aubergine bacon ever since I saw it on the raw petticoat blog. I found a recipe on Amy Tuggle’s blog recently and then – today – I came across some delicious looking aubergines and couldn’t resist giving it a go.It already looks so delicious at the beginning of the marinating time, I don’t know how I’m going to manage to wait until it’s done tomorrow night!
Here are the items in Amy’s recipe (as well as notes about my own amendments)
- 2 medium Eggplants/aubergines
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 very ripe avocado (I used 1 small very ripe avocado)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp agave
- 3 Tbsp Red wine vinegar (I used balsamic – shd be okay?)
- 1 tsp paprika (I had some smoked paprika so I used that)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (don’t have any)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (don’t have any – used 1 clove fresh minced garlic)
- 1/4 tsp cayanne
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke, optional (don’t know what it is – but the paprika was smoked)
- 2-3 tsp Real Sea salt (didn’t measure but gave it a good grinding of himalayan salt)
Peel the eggplants. Using the mandolin or a peeler, make long slices of the eggplant.
Mix all ingredients in a large container and work onto the eggplant slices. Allow to marinate for 3 hours, taste and adjust salt/pepper.
Place slices directly onto the screen of your dehydrator sheets. This will completely fill a 4-tray Excalibur.
Set dehydrator at 145 for 35 minutes then 110-115 for 18-24 hours.